Monday 30 April 2012

Gadget Geek

OK, I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a gadget geek.  I'm not one of those people who have to have the latest of everything the very second it comes out, but I do like my electronic gadgets.  Some of them even helped me to write my novel.

I love my Sony Tablet S.  It was a Christmas gift and I don't think I've put it down since I got it.  I'm always on my computer so this allows me to be away from my desktop but still able to surf, network and write.  Oh yeah, and play Angry Birds :)  When I'm feeling ill or tired I take my tablet up to bed with me and just read, watch videos or play games.  It's so versatile I don't know how I lived without it.

I love my little android phone.  It's a little known Huawei Blaze and for a budget phone it's pretty good, my husband rates it more highly than his HTC!  The camera isn't so great but it does everything I ask of it, including running a word processor so I can write on those rare occasions I'm away from both my desktop PC and my tablet.

I love my iPod.  Music is my escape, it helps motivate me when I need to get things done and it helps calm me when I need to rest.  I listened to a lot of music when I was writing my novel.  The House of Love's "A Spy In The House of Love" is always a favourite of mine for background music.

I love my Canon EOS 450D DSLR camera.  I've had it just over a year now and I think I've used it practically every day.  I'm always taking photographs of everything, from my children and pets to the food I've cooked and all those quirky little things that catch my attention like the ladybird on a stone by my front door or the pigeons perched on the fence.

My Kindle Touch is my newest electronic gadget.  I have the Kindle app on my tablet but this is so much easier to hold and to read.  I used it a lot when proof reading my novel.  All the typos I missed on the computer screen seemed to jump out at me on the Kindle (althought I'm sure some have still escaped my attention).

As with everything in life, there has to be a balance.  As much as I love my electronic gadgets I'm also a lover of old fashioned tools as well.  I will take a break from writing and sit down with my acousitc guitar, writing lyrics on paper with my fountain pen, and I'm a strong believer in keeping traditional crafts alive so I will spin yarn with my spinning wheel, skein it on a niddy noddy and then knit the yarn by hand.

So I guess there is no denying it, whether it's electronic or not, I really do love my gadgets!

No comments:

Post a Comment